Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Twilight and Some Hockey Talk

In case you live under a rock, there's there mini-phenomenon called Twilight that began to sweep the nation a few years ago, first in book form and then in movie form. I read the books and enjoyed them and have slowly gotten around to seeing the movies (though I honestly can't recall if I saw the last one or not, which shows my level of commitment to this) but I would never camp outside a week before it opens to get tickets. In fact there's not much I'd camp outside for. My step-dad and I established it could be worth camping out for debt relief but when it comes to Black Friday specials and movie premieres, I just don't get it. I am just not that dedicated to anything that much.

This blog has some pictures and info about the camped out fans awaiting Twilight's latest premiere which is happening at the Nokia Theatre in LA. Incidentally the Staples Center is across the street and is home to the LA Kings, and the twi-hard fans feel hockey fans are in their way attending games while they make a tent city to see a movie. Um ok then.

The Penguins last night rebounded from what could have been a big lose into an epic winner in the 3rd period. It's rumored Aaron Asham fired up team before the 3rd. I'm not sure if he said would fight them each personally if they didn't step up or what, but Orpik, Malkin, Neal and Letang all decided to avoid the rash of Asham and each scored (to add to Staal and Dupuis' 1st and 2nd period goals) to win the game 6-3 over the Avalanche. Neal also continued his rockstar point streak to 17 points and a goal in every home game. Crosby who? Crosby still won't communicate with the media about his status and I'm trying to figure out why he didn't cut them off months ago. He was just feeding them like a drug dealer feeds his druggies. The media will still speculate on everything anyway so why bother giving them a soundbyte?

Last night I was at work doing an overnight and trying to figure out why every time I'd check my phone for the score, the battery was literally dying by the second. Turns out the latest update to NHL Game Center turned on my location services and it was constantly using my 3g and I can't use the app without location on anymore. Many other users already voiced their issues and anger so hopefully they fix this soon, as I know have to use the web to check league scores (unreal, since there's an app for that!!)

The GM's had a meeting in Toronto and many voiced concern over goalie protection. My head is spinning trying to understand how everyone is talking themselves in a circle and contradicting previous statements. What has been established is if something like the Lucic hit on Miller happens again there could be a suspension on that play. How can that be since the precedent was not set? Lucic smooth talked his way with the Hammer and said what he knew the principal wanted to hear like a perfect little boy. Read more here if you want to be more confused on the GM's stances.

Cool read on why hockey players should wear visors from The Score.

The Islanders revealed the worst kept jersey secret ever. I'm hoping tomorrow they hold a conference and say "April Fools!! Just kidding and we don't expect people to actually pay money for these, we just wanted to take some of the heat off the three-headed goalie rotation." I'm not even sure there's anything redeeming about these. It's the like Mets and Knicks decided to make a hockey jersey because they were bored in arts and crafts class.

Finally the Hockey Hall of Fame inducted 4 new players on Monday and as always, Down Goes Brown has their imagined take on the event. If your ever bored just go through their archives, you won't regret wasting your time. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment