Monday, May 30, 2011

Mega TV Deal

Since the playoffs are in the final stage and we have our teams set, this is a perfect time to point out the insanity of this new TV deal that will apparently help reach new audiences that ESPN couldn't offer.

Not too long ago the rights for NHL games were up for grabs and because NBC had exclusive rights to match any offer from another party (ESPN) and therefore you knew right away they were going with NBC. What the NHL failed to realize is many people do not get Versus in their cable deals. For example I can get it added on for a arm, but I will NEVER get to watch a single Penguins, Rangers, Devils, Islanders game (Sabres at times too) because I live in the Bermuda Triangle of the NHL. Basically their home networks (MSG, Root Sports etc) have airing rights to the games and can blackout games on Versus or any other channel so you have to watch their broadcast. Clearly I'm not paying an arm to watch games and never get to see any team I care about or near to me. Makes no sense.

The next issue I have with the NHL on NBC for better part of eternity is NBC only will air certain teams. They always air teams that have huge draws and good story lines (hey there Sid vs Ovi), but what about Nashville who came outta know where to prove they have the goods this season. I want to see them play more because maybe they didn't come out of nowhere. Reading is not seeing. A team can lose by 5 goals but that doesn't mean they are a bad team. It could be any number of factors and I want a fair chance to watch them all.

NBC has offered to air a Black Friday game. Great timing. After everyone awakes from their Turkey coma, they wake up at the crack of dawn to go shopping on Friday so by the time the game airs, everyone will be on nap number 2 of the holiday weekend. Obvisiously they will still have the Winter Classic and supposedly they will have a game Saturday and Sunday (once football is over of course), but only 1 game per day. Still cant figure out how we can watch football on every channel from the crack of dawn till we pass out and watch football non-stop but we are regulated to 1 game per weekend day and only AFTER football season ends.

I really wish I could have seen what ESPN was offering since they have many advantages (including not being owned by NBC which seems to have gained about 9 egos since their mega merger). First off they have how many ESPN stations that play non-stop news. One of them can easily be converted to air games. Secondly they are owned by mega-conglomerate Disney, who in turn also always ABC. What exactly is ABC airing on weekends theses days? Help. I remember Wide World of Sports on weekends when I was a kid but this is also when they owned figure skating rights and Robin Roberts hosted. So again what is on weekends? Don't know what ESPN offered but they could have offered weekend games (they don't air NFL, just NCAA) every weekend, plus games on ESPN and I'm sure Disney world come up with some crazy tie in. How about after the Conn Smythe winner from the Stanley Cup Finals gets his award and they do a "I'm going to Disney World" like they do with the MVP of the Superbowl. I'm sure they could come up with something.

I'm sure there's many points on both sides of this awkward deal as there always are, but I'm just not a fan. Thank god for computer geniuses who will put the game online so I can stream from. I thank you very much for doing such a wonderful service. One of the most intriguing points of this tv deal comes into play now. You don't want to see a team swept and the odds of it happening in the Finals are probably on the low side (although who saw the Caps being swept by the Lightening? I didn't) if a team is swept and wins it all in Game 4, it will be hidden on the depths of Versus. For some wacky reason Games 1,2,5-7 will be aired on NBC. Versus has rights to Game 3&4. Don't ask. It has no sound rhyme or reason.

As its approximately a million degrees out (ok 80 and humid but it's going up to 90) and it's Memorial Day I am going to a BBQ and a pool. Had enough of the inside world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment