Monday, July 25, 2011

Back to the Grind...

Since the NFL has finally come to an agreement after over 4 months of chatting, I decided it's time to start paying more attention to the sporting world. I needed a little break myself (and it was nice to not check sites, the tv or anything and get lost in a solid book and then have some time at the beach) but as the calendar inches closer to August, all the puzzle pieces are falling into place. So away we go....

The NFL has finally reached a new CBA agreement. It still confuses me greatly some of the things that did and didn't get affected but you can read more here and here (thank you ESPN.com) for details because I'm just not up for deciphering it all right now. What I do understand is free-agency begins tomorrow, rosters need to be set ASAP and all teams will have their training camps open by Friday. Good stuff since as my grandpa said yesterday "I can't do this no football on Sunday stuff much longer". Direct quote. Man loves football then hockey, then whatever else is in season, and baseball is officially boring him senseless.

In the planet of Philadelphia, Michael Vick decided he would welcome Brett Favre as his backup. No word on if Favre is actually contemplating un-retiring but I can't take any of this seriously. The entire city of Philadelphia drinks the crazy water and its just not meant for the rest of us in the real world to understand. Favre playing backup would be hilarious. Playing backup to Vick would be a friggin made for TV movie. The Flyers signed Jaromir Jagr and a Western goalie for a top Eastern team. The league-owned Coyotes barely made the playoffs and then the Flyers threw a shit-ton of money at a goalie that one hopes won't crack under this pressure. Of course the Flyers owner is inching up on the crazy owner train, and he's now second in command to only Ted Leonsis, Ovie's owner. Ya know, the wacky one who employs a Coach that screams out like a 5 year old for ice cream in the mall and does interviews with hot sauce on his face. Remember he deserves a Cup because that nemesis of his in Pittsburgh has 3 of his own. The Flyers of course jetted a pair of 26 year olds out of town so your move Leonsis. Are DC and Philly on the same water supply? Seriously though, are they?? Favre needs to go hide somewhere. I don't want to hear or see his name until he can be elected into the HOF. He's already tarnished his luster by not just retiring the first time and I'm 300% over any Favre news.

Speaking of the 2 players jetted from the Flyers, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, there was an awesome article on a possible reason for sending these two party boys out of Philly. Shocking that at 26, single and insanely rich, they would enjoy drinking and going out. Who knew? I thought these guys were book worms and attended a book club on their off nights. Guess I was wrong. Seriously though, I can't figure out which is crazier, the fact that Laviolette thought he could get every guy to agree to a month of no drinking or the fact they couldn't just do the month. Power struggle much? Tell someone they can't and it's like daring them to do it just to spite you. I'm thinking the guys probably were thinking along the lines of we gave up all of high school and skipped college to play in the big league so why can't we enjoy our time. Coach is probably thinking grow up, be an example and keep it under control. Of course how he approached everyone probably played into it. Regardless the party hardy boys have left the City of Brotherly Love for greener pastures in LaLa Land and one of the biggest party campus' in the country. Since I'm a mere year older than them, I can't blame them for wanting to go out and enjoy their time. Maybe they needed to do it a bit more carefully, but if I had their money, maybe I wouldn't care either.

Richards landed himself in LA. "Hey there party city, how are you doing??? My name is Mike Richards, here's my black card, nothing is off limits. Round of shots for everyone on me!!!" Yes. The partying Mike Richards will live on. His partner in crime Jeff Carter will be corrupting the minds of young guys and girls in Columbus. Not sure who can get in more trouble. Columbus of course is home to The Ohio State University so realistically they are both going to the living it up. Potentially cheaper on Carter's wallet I'd guess. I'm sure this won't be the last we hear of them living it up. Hopefully there new teams have no dreams of "Dry Island" (seriously? is that a joke?) "Everybody's shufflin, shufflin, shufflin..." Party on boys, party on.......

In more sobering news, Aaron Boogaard was arrested in connection to the May death of his 28 year old brother, Derek, who died from a combination of drugs and alcohol. So sad for the family and I'm sure the last news they wanted to get.

The Winnipeg Jets unveiled their logos in part because a picture was leaked. The Jets ended up announcing their logos immediately once they realized the security breach, but I won't lie, I was happy someone basically forced them to do it because this was getting nuts. Still have to wait on their actual uniforms but this is better than nothing I suppose.Personally I'm torn since I was expecting something to sing and dance for me since this was such a big secret. I get that they are teaming with the military but personally I'd expect to the see the circular logo on the left on the arm as a patch on the pilot of a jet, rather than a skating Jet. Same thing with the top right one (did everyone get their wings for flying with us today?). I like the colors and I like the fact they didn't go with the old logos and exact colors but I'm just not blown away. I can almost imagine them using an old Thrashers jersey with these colors and logos. Ugh. I thought those were supposed to be lost on the way to the 'Peg?! I picked the word Jets as my favorite logo which when it comes down to it, it's actually a font with a maple leaf. Pathetic. At least they will fit right in with half the leagues boring-ness in designs.

After 17 seasons donning a Red Wings jersey (and 3 prior with the Jets 1.0) Kris Draper has joined the retirement party of Chris Osgood and Brian Rafalski this off season. And to think Lidstrom almost joined them also. Who are the Red Wings now? They just keep getting younger which should mean they will only get better since they were one of the oldest teams in the league. But as one of the oldest, they were still one of the best so do these changes make them stronger? Better? This could be really awesome to see play out. Can't wait for the season to see how all the changes fall into place!

No comments:

Post a Comment